Sunday, November 8, 2009

Christmas Traditions

I know, you're probably thinking, "Christmas? It's not even Thanksgiving yet!" But being in Costa Rica, we don't celebrate all the holidays that we do back in the states. Halloween came and went and no one seemed to notice. Thanksgiving is a holiday for us in the states and not celebrated down here. Now don't get me wrong, we'll have the day off from school but we have to meet up with the other missionaries for a lunch or dinner thing.

I love the holiday season and it's kind of sad that we don't get to experience most of the fun holiday stuff that we think of when we think Christmas. No pumpkin lattes, no red cups from starbucks, no snow, no sweaters, no real christmas trees. It's a little sad. Most of the stores are already decorated for Christmas and have been since August. By decorated, I mean have a little wreath runner and maybe some red bows. Lights, as of yet, haven't really been seen and artificial Christmas trees and decorations are triple the price they are back in the states. Needless to say, we won't have a Christmas tree this holiday season. We won't have any decorations, or lights, and we won't be wrapping presents.

I'm hoping to start some new holiday traditions this year to help us start feeling in the Christmas mood and spirit of the season. Maybe bake some treats. I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that it cools down a little here so we can enjoy some hot chocolate and holiday movies!

Do you have any Christmas or holiday traditions that you've always done? How long have they been part of your family? Any ideas for some new traditions we can incorporate into our holidays?

2 comments:

ucfRubia said...

Teach Costa Rica two words in English...Black Friday.

We now watch Gremlins every year thanks to this super nice Costa Rican couple we know!

Also, I try to get (or make) an ornament each year. Doesn't have to be one of the Hallmark ones with the year on it, but just something to commemorate the year together.

Miss you guys!

Courtney and Bradd

Unknown said...

My family doesn't really so anything special.. But my mom and I like to sit by the fireplace and watch movies.

I heard about families getting new
pajamas to wear Christmas morning

You should go find an old couple and befriend them and help them decorate their tree! Or go song Christmas carols in to your neighbors :D