Thursday, June 11, 2009

Changing seasons...

It's amazing how life changes without you really knowing it or understanding exactly what is happening at the moment. I've been involved in various kinds of ministries, at times being in leadership but mostly serving underneath someone else. Recently, I've noticed a change in life, as I've moved from stage of ministry leadership to another. 

The last time I was in El Salvador was as an intern, serving under Gary and Karen Crump. That was a very influential time in my life, a summer of being mentored, trained, and taught the different avenues and means of ministry. When I lived in Glenwood Springs, serving as an associate pastor, I was able to try new things in ministry, but still was under Pastor Travis' leadership, continuing to be trained and mentored in ministry. When Lisa and I arrived here in El Salvador, I quite honestly did not know what to expect from the ministry we would be involved in. I've never really thought of myself as a great leader, or as a leader period for that matter. I've always served under or with someone else and taken directions. Well, this summer has signified a key change in the seasons of my life. While we are still under the direction of Don and Terri Triplett, we are at the same time in charge of an area of ministry directly, with a group of interns looking to us for spiritual leadership, mentoring, and teaching. 

Jacob, Faith, Kristal, Lisa and I serve as the leadership team, overseeing the interns and AIM teams that are ministering throughout the country this summer. We just finished Intern boot camp and somewhere along the way in the past couple weeks, I've noticed that what I once was in ministry I am no longer. I suddenly realized one night in prayer that I view these interns as people I am helping mould, shape, and mentor. We have transitioned from mentoree to mentor. I told Lisa that I feel as though this is my own personal flock. Through times of prayer God has used me to speak into and over their lives, more than He has spoken into my life through someone else. I find myself sharing experiences and teaching them in the ways of ministry rather than being taught. All this happened without me knowing it! It's like I woke up one morning and suddenly I was someone different in ministry than I was just a few weeks ago. They look up to us for leadership and guidance, they come to us with their problems and concerns, when they are throwing up all night they knock on our door. 

I count it a great privilege and honor to be awarded such a grand opportunity. It's even as thought the AIM teams that arrive look to us as the experts in Salvadoran culture and ministry. It's funny and humbling at the same time. We are missionaries...this is our life....my how time changes all things without you even noticing. I reminds me of the coming of fall. We don't notice the first changes of color in the leaves or the subtle cooling of the air, until one day we wake up and the world has gone from green to reds, yellows, oranges, and browns. We wake up one morning with a chill in the air instead of comforting warmth, and wonder how it changed so quickly, when all along the changes were happening under our noses without us noticing. So too God has subtly changed the colors of our life and the temperature of our climate as He moved us from stage to another, growing us and shaping us. I'm not saying that we aren't in need of continuing training and mentoring, but we have gone from continual learning to being the teacher and student at the same time. How amazing is our God!

0 comments: